Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Superman: The Animated Series, Introduction and Disclaimer

I was one of those people who really discovered Batman and Superman through TV. As far as Superman goes, first it was Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, and then, wanting more, even if it came from (if I remember correctly) a kids' programming block, it was Superman: The Animated Series. I'm not counting Superfriends.

While I would rank Batman: The Animated Series higher if I was making a totemic list, I still have a lot of room in my heart for Superman. Also, Superman: TAS doesn't get talked about nearly as much. It's always in Batman's considerably dark shadow. So I think it would be a neat thing to really examine.

And with the recent Man of Steel being, well, what it is, I thought it was a good time to revisit a show that made such an impression on me with its representation of Superman, Metropolis, Lois Lane, and Lex Luthor. I've revisited it before, but this time I'm really looking at it to try to figure out exactly why I think its concept of the character holds up even better than the Christopher Reeve movies (although Christopher Reeve's portrayal of Superman and Clark Kent casts a shadow of its own; he is not the problem with those movies) or Lois & Clark.

So this might take a while, but I think it will end up being pretty fun!

Also, if Superman: The Animated Series is not your thing, don't worry: this blog will not turn into All Superman, All the Time. There will also be Batman!

(And other things that are not about comic book heroes).



DISCLAIMER:

I am not in any way a... Superman historian, I guess you'd call it. I don't own any issues from the Silver Age, I don't know what happened in Action Comics #56 off the top of my head, nothing like that.

So what I'm trying to say is that I am in no way trying to say that I have some sort of deep, long-acquired insight that makes me the ultimate authority on what the "proper" representation of Superman is because I've read the comics. Because I haven't really read the comics. I just know what I like and what I think works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always appreciated (sometimes), and possibly mandatory.

Also, I know the blog has been screwing up logins, so if you aren't able to login, please write a name or something at the end of your post. Or whatever.